– Beverly Alert elected to head WFC
The National Conference of the Alliance For Change yesterday elected eight new members to its National Executive Committee (NEC).
The newly elected members are:
- Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo
- Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson
- Member of Parliament Audwin Rutherford
- Director of Public Information Imran Khan
- Government Information Agency (GINA) Director Beverly Alert
- Deputy Mayor Sherod Duncan
- Business Executive Nicola Trotman
- Attorney-at-Law Joel Edmund.
The four members who were re-elected are:
- Minister within the Ministry of Indigenous People’s Affairs Valerie Garrido-Lowe
- Member of Parliament Michael Carrington
- Former Member of Parliament Trevor Williams
- Ministry of Public Infrastructure official Neilson McKenzie
Khan topped the vote tally with 132 votes followed by Nagamootoo (104), Carrington (100), Garrido-Lowe (96) and Patterson (94).
The NEC is comprised of the Leader, Chairman, Vice-Chairperson, General Secretary, Treasurer, the 12 elected members, one representative from each of the party’s ten Regional Management Committees, Women For Change (WFC), Youth For Change (YFC) and the four overseas chapters. Five members can also be co-opted into the NEC.
The NEC has responsibility for the general affairs of the party between National Conferences and meets quarterly. National Conferences are held every two years. The NEC elections were held as part of the 5th Biennial National Conference held yesterday at the Vreed-en-Hoop Primary School on the West Bank of Demerara.
Dominic Gaskin declined nomination while Leader Raphael Trotman, Chairman Khemraj Ramjattan, Vice Chairperson Cathy Hughes and General Secretary Marlon Williams were not eligible to contest on account of having already been elected to leadership positions and being automatic members of the NEC as a result.
RESULTS OF THE AFC NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ELECTIONS
- Imran Khan – 132 votes
- Moses Nagamootoo – 104 votes
- Michael Carrington – 100 votes
- Valerie Garrido-Lowe – 96 votes
- David Patterson – 94 votes
- Joel Edmund – 86 votes
- Audwin Rutherford – 79 votes
- Neilson McKenzie – 75 votes
- Sherod Duncan – 75 votes
- Nicola Trotman – 73 votes
- Trevor Williams – 69 votes
- Beverly Alert – 66 votes
In addition, Women For Change also held elections for the position of National Chairwoman as part of the National Conference. Alert and Trotman ended in a tie, however Trotman magnanimously withdrew, allowing Alert to head WFC. WFC is the women’s arm of the AFC and its immediate priority will be to organize a National Women’s Conference at which elections for other positions will be held.